Friday, April 22, 2011

Q is for Quick and Quiet

I have had to learn to be quick about some things in life.  I can make a really fast rest stop now, after all those years of traveling.  I eat quickly, I guess since elementary school.  I suspect that I spent all my time talking, and had to gulp down food fast to get to eat!  :-)  I tease Daryl that he is so far ahead of me on any given day, that I have to rush just to catch up!  Even with cancer, sometimes he can work faster than I can think…he’s mastered the art of focusing.  He will focus on what he’s supposed to be doing, and gets it done.  I’m his “butterfly” as he calls me…flitting from one thing to another, getting distracted along the way….which probably, once more, leaves me with a small amount of time to accomplish a task, since I waste all my time flitting around!  Hence, I get it done quickly at the end! 

As for quiet, I love quiet.  Oxymoronically, I LOVE the noise of children playing.  I guess it isn’t so different…I don’t usually enjoy music or electronic sounds as much as I love quiet sounds…birds, crickets, children, breezes, ocean noises…but not those CD’s of nature sounds.  There’s no duplicating the noises I love.  I love the quiet of rain hitting a tin roof.  I love the little snuffling sounds sleeping babies make.   I love the sound of Daryl’s heart beat when I snuggle my head on his chest.  The sounds that are Quiet to my soul!

6 comments:

Grammy said...

Hi, Carol, I love the quiet, too, (and a good thing that is..ha). I do love the sounds of nature, too, God's creation that He made for us to enjoy. I saw an Andy Griffith episode not too long ago of a man who had to stop in Mayberry to have his car worked on and had to wait for a part. He was so antsy and couldn't relax until he realized how much of life he was missing by always being in a hurry. Opie was excited when the man decided to spend the night and Opie got to sleep on a board between two chairs. They all sat on the porch and listened to the sounds of the evening. Good post! Love you, Mom

txbennett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
txbennett said...

How about the sound of 'possums on the roof? Is that a quiet nature sound that you love?

Mom B said...

No, honey. I don't like 'possums on the roof...or in the yard...or in the neighborhood area. :-)

Grammy said...

how about Possum on a Gum Stump? Ha!

Teresa said...

You would love the sounds of our back yard...it's all nature (except for the sound when kids are outside)