Thursday, April 14, 2011

L is for Lucinda

My Grandmother’s middle name was Lucinda.  Cecil Lucinda Black Campbell.  She always said she had some other names, but would never tell them to me.  After my parents divorced, Mom and Teresa and I moved in with my grandparents.  My Grandma and I connected.  We both were hard workers.  We both loved a challenge.  We were both more serious minded than sometimes other people were.  But when my Grandma laughed, it was fun to listen to.  She would all but whoop in laughter when she got tickled.

From Grandma, I learned to quilt and sew.

From Grandma, I learned to hoe a garden.

From Grandma, I learned to snap beans, shell peas, and dig potatoes.

From Grandma, I learned to love pinto beans and pickles.

However, I never picked up the cornbread in coffee thing that she loved.

She had a saying, “Things that you do, do with your might.  Things done by halves are seldom done right.”   I did a sampler for her when I was in high school or college with that on it.   She loved it, and I got to inherit it  when she passed away. It hangs in my living room hallway.  Even now, when I have a project to do, her words challenge me to go ahead and do a good job.   Thanks, Grandma, for all you taught me. 

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Hi, Carol, thanks for that post, and the one before it "K". Great posts, and so true. Love you, Mom

txbennett said...

I have always encouraged Carol to write stories based on those years growing up with her grandparents on the farm. Maybe someday she will.