Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It’s good for young men to carry caskets.

young men

Above are four of the young grandsons who carried Hugh’s casket today.  In addition to Thomas, Steven, Joshua, and Andrew, was Mike (one of my cousins) and Mike’s son, Joshua.   With the exception of Mike, who is a bit younger than me, they were all young men. 

As I watched them carry the casket, I realized it’s a very good thing to have young men carry caskets.  Young men feel so invincible.  They think, as Daryl sometimes says, that the laws of physics (gravity, etc) don’t apply to them.  They think life stretches outward, and sometimes fail to see the more important concept of eternity.  The very act of carrying a casket has to bring you face to face with mortality.

To those young men, I write this blog.  I loved meeting you.  I loved watching how you loved your Papaw and love your Nana.  I wish my kids had known you better, and known you as cousins.  I want to set forth the challenge to you to give thought of eternity.  Think of your Papaw’s life, and what it stood for.  I don’t know where any of you stand in relationship to the Lord Jesus Christ, but take time to find out.  It’s the single most important direction you will take in life.  Talk to Nana.  Talk to Mae.  Talk to Ruby or Dub.  Talk to your Dads.  They know.  Love you, guys!

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Dear Carol,
Very excellent posting! Just one minor correction: Young men in photo are (l.to r.):
Thomas, Steven, Jonathan, and Andrew.
Not pictured are the two Josh's,
David's oldest son, and Mike's son.
Great advice you gave to them. I hope they read and follow it.
Love you,
Mom

Mom B said...

At least I got the boys names right in the pic...:-)